Monday, October 10, 2016

Thoughts

Working with George reminded me that intention will focus the technique and make the connection to action very present. It was very reminiscent of the "direction" section of our reading. I find myself getting lost in AT frequently. My body feels supported and alive, but connecting it to the techniques I'm familiar with has always been a struggle. The Magis Workshop helped to strengthen my connection between acting and AT, and I walked away from class feeling more prepared to use the excercises in rehearsal. The use of containment was also very helpful. I've always found that using large, broad emotions comes easy to me, so taking a step away from that to hone in on something was refreshing and ultimately very useful.

AT is changing how I check in with my body. My central energy feels smaller and more specific, while my limbs and muscles feel expansive. It creates an interesting dichotomy in my mind, feeling so small, yet so large.  I'm very elemental with how I visualize things in my body (Fire, Earth, Wind, Water), and in class I always feel like a palm tree with huge leaves, and when I'm properly suspended, the air is keeping the leaves up. It's a helpful image that frequently pops up in my mind's eye.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful discovery. Many of the Magis techniques and vocabulary have grown out of a dialogue between physical training that includes Meyerhold Biomechanics exercises for waking up the body, and Alexander technique. The work is very specific and at the same time freeing and ultimately leads you into preparing to do action specific work with text and character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too felt very inspired by the idea of containment. I am frequently making big choices which come easy to me, but the smaller (perhaps more intense and focused) choices I have a hard time making without pushing it out. I think that the idea of containment will help me to trust that the work can all be in the body and it will rise up through the action- I don't need to push it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too felt very inspired by the idea of containment. I am frequently making big choices which come easy to me, but the smaller (perhaps more intense and focused) choices I have a hard time making without pushing it out. I think that the idea of containment will help me to trust that the work can all be in the body and it will rise up through the action- I don't need to push it out.

    ReplyDelete